Thursday, August 11, 2011

Wilton Cake Class: Lesson 1

Yesterday was the 1st day of my cake 1st cake decorating class. Up until now I have relied solely on YouTube and reading different cake forums. But now I will have some formal training.

I was the 1st one to class as I usually am. The teacher is a lovely lady named Jan. Slowly the rest of the class filtered in and we ended up with 8 ladies. We introduced ourselves, "Hi, I' Katie, I make cakes but I am awful at piping and need someone to teach me."

The class went on, we learned about butter cream and how to make it. I learned a few tips that I didn't already know. I'm really terrible at reading instructions so that is mostly what I learned about, the stuff I hadn't read. We oooohhhed and ahhhhed over different consistencies of icing.

Next we learned how to tort a cake. I never have been interested in buying the Wilton torter but now I think I will now that I have seen it in action. It is cheap and will work well enough for me. Currently I use a giant ( non serrated) kitchen knife, that is a no no but hey I don't care :) We watched Jan make a icing dam and fill and ice the cake. She did it more professionally than I ever have so maybe I will catch onto that.

Then we learned how to pipe stars. Oh dear, my piping is still horrid. My stars looks like little bushes. I was squeezing the bag as hard as I could but the canned icing was just so hard that my arm was shaking and the stars looked a mess. I was struggling really hard while everyone else was piping away freely. After circling around 2 times, Jan noticed my frustration and my hideous creation and she suggested I use a bigger star tip. Oh what a difference. My stars were still pretty bad but they looked like stars this time. My arms are really weak and the icing bag got the best of me. Hopefully with my nice homemade icing I will do better!




I stopped practicing on my home made practice mat and started ruining cookies. I admit I dislike making cookies so I bought mine at the grocery store, GASP! Oh well, I didn't eat them and they did the job. I iced 3 cookies, they weren't awful but left a lot to be desired.

Arent' they gorgeous???........

Class 2 we get to ice a cake which I can do pretty successfully so hopefully I will redeem myself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment